Saturday, February 7, 2009

Following the Testosterone

Ever wonder why so many women are willing to risk cancer to take hormones? It's not because they just can't handle the hot flashes, though that's what everybody talks about. Oh the horrors of night sweats! Bullshit. The reason we take hormones is that we miss having a libido. They say you don't miss you water 'til your well runs dry. Well you don't miss your hormones 'til your ovaries shut down. We take libido for granted. We've been horny so long we can't conceive of life without a little lust in it. Although I have to admit, in all likelihood, if I wasn't married I probably wouldn't miss it all that much. But the fact is, I am married, to a man, and he still has a healthy level of testosterone dripping into his veins. As my daughter recently pointed out, good sex goes a long way in a relationship. The absence of sex also has an impact. Especially when only one of you has resigned from the game.

He wants to touch and snuggle. I want to be left alone to deal with my hot flashes in peace. He wants to kiss and say "I love you." I'd be satisfied with a pat on the shoulder and "Hey, see you tomorrow." He wants to watch my tits giggle when I dry my hair after a shower. I want him to close the door and quit letting cold air into the room. He wants to play footsie in bed. I want him to stay on his side and stop bugging me. He wants to hold hands. I want to walk alone. It just isn't interesting without the chemicals.

So now we know why men leave their post-menopausal wives for younger women. it's so simple, isn't it? Those younger women want to have sex.

Now, I don't expect my husband to go looking for a younger woman. He's not the type. But I don't think it's entirely fair to expect him to just give it up. So I try, I really try, I do. But let's be honest, sex without an orgasm is the definition of disappointment. I can't help remembering how much fun it used to be.

So, yes I take my hormones, and I think it's going to save my marriage. And because I don't want to get cancer, I take the bio-identical kind. And I hope for the best.

2 comments:

  1. Roseane thank you for introducing me to your blog. It is fascinating. David Mc

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roseane: it is nice to have the female point of view.

    ReplyDelete