Monday, April 6, 2009

Collapse

Early this morning, several towns in central Italy collapsed in rubble. A great many people apparently woke up and ran outside. An awful lot of people didn't. According to the news reports, they are digging with their bare hands to get them out. I was reading this story while my grandson was here, and he wanted to know what I was talking about. So I called him over and showed him a picture of some people digging in a pile of rubble. I told him that pile of rubble used to be a house, and they were digging to get the people out who were buried when the walls fell down.

My grandson is five years old. He's a wise five, but this information was a lot for him. The look on his face changed to a deep concern, almost outrage. "The world is a hard place," I said. He just frowned.

No comments:

Post a Comment