Monday, May 11, 2009

Lost And Found

I found my niece today. Her name is Allyson and she's my brother's daughter. She's 24 years old and I haven't seen her since she was about three years old. I looked for her on Facebook and found her there. As soon as I saw her picture, I knew I had found the right Allyson. She's a beautiful young woman now.

I asked to be her friend on FB and she said yes. So today, I got to look at her photos. It was really exciting, and I have my hopes up that she will still want to be my friend when she figures out who I am.

When her parents broke up, she was a little girl. The separation was not pretty, and she's had almost no contact with our side of the family as she was growing up. Not that we didn't want to have her in our lives. WE DID. But sometimes there are walls built up between people, and the rest of you can't find a way around them.

Anyway, it's been a long time, and right now I am just so happy to have found Allyson again.

I think she and Erin would be good friends, so I'm hoping they will meet each other soon...even if it's only on FB.

I have to decide how to tell her that I am her aunt. I'm not sure how to go about it. I want her to be happy about it, but I guess I have no control over that. I just don't want to lose her from my life again.

No comments:

Post a Comment