Thursday, March 12, 2009

why I love acting

For starters, it's a guarantee of an interesting exchange that I get to be part of. Even if it's only pretend, it is always interesting. Even if I've done it dozens of times before, it is still a challenge to make it happen in real time. Acting is engaging. Talk about taking your mind off of yourself!

Today my friend David and I did a scene from Pinter's "The Birthday Party." What a blast. I mean, is Meg crazy or just stupid? I'm decked out in dangly earrings and a satin robe (okay, over my clothes), and I'm flirting outrageously with a man who is not my husband. After 20 years of marriage, that in and of itself would make it worthwhile. And it's all for fun. And it is fun. Never mind that his (David's) character is thoroughly disgusted by my advances. The truth is he's having a blast too, being disgusted.

I tell you, there's nothing in the world like acting. Unless of course you are a pathological liar who makes shit up all the time. But even that wouldn't be this much fun. Hell it would be too serious to be fun. For a pathological liar it's a damn survival mechanism. But for actors, there is really nothing at stake.

My friend and fellow actor, Allen calls it Kindergarten for grown-ups. Have you ever watched little kids pretend? Reminds me of a funny story. I was working on a role in which I needed to shed a few tears, and I mentioned to Richard (my husband) that I was worried I might not cry at the appropriate moment during performance of the scene. My five-year-old grandson, Tre happened to be with us at the time. "Just pretend to cry," he said. "I do it all the time." Then he climbed up on the arm of the couch and taught me how to do it, complete with demonstrations.

Kids pretend with gusto. They don't hold anything back. And when you see something like that, it's inspirational.

No comments:

Post a Comment